Frequently Asked Questions


How do I know if paternity has been established on a child?

For children born after 1997, a father listed on the birth certificate indicates paternity has been established either by presumption (marriage) or legal document (court order / acknowledgment of paternity).

Who can request genetic testing to establish paternity?

  • The mother, alleged father(s) or the child’s guardian can request testing through the CSEA for any child under the age of 23;
  • If an Acknowledgement of Paternity was signed at the hospital for the child, and you are now considering genetic testing, it is very important that you contact the CSEA quickly. The Acknowledgement of Paternity can be rescinded for 60 days after it has been signed. Once 60 days pass, the Acknowledgment of Paternity is final and the CSEA will not be able to provide genetic testing services.

How do I establish paternity on my child?

  • Genetic testing through the CSEA (Administrative Order);
  • Sign the Acknowledgment of Paternity at the Hospital, Heath Department or CSEA;
  • Court Order

Who has legal custody of my newborn baby?

According to Ohio Law, an unmarried mother who gives birth has legal custody of her child born in Ohio.

If paternity and support orders are established, does that automatically give the parent visitation rights?

We recognize that parenting time is a very important matter between the parents and the child, and we encourage parents to work together to provide both the emotional and financial support needed for the well-being of a child. However, visitation/parenting time issues are matters handled by the court. The CSEA is unable to provide services related to visitation or custody. The establishment of paternity or support does not provide automatic visitation/parenting time rights.

Can I change my child’s last name?

  • Yes, if both parties agree when completing the Acknowledgement of Paternity;
  • Yes, if paternity has not been established and both the mother and alleged father complete the Addendum to the Administrative Order to Modify the Birth Record – Child Surname form (JFS 04070) prior to receiving positive genetic testing results;
  • Otherwise you would need to file for a name change through Probate Court.

Can you Establish Spousal Support/Alimony in addition to Child Support?

No, only the court can establish Spousal Support/Alimony.  The CSEA cannot establish or modify Spousal Support.


How do I get a child support order established?

Contact your local CSEA and request an Application for Services.  You can also print out, complete and mail the application to your local office at .  Once the application is returned to the Agency, a review will be completed within ten (10) days to determine if a case will be opened. You will be notified by mail if the application has been accepted or denied.

What happens at an administrative support establishment hearing?

At an administrative support establishment hearing, the hearing officer listens to testimony and collects documents for the Ohio Child Support Guidelines to determine the amount of child support and cash medical support that the non-residential parent (obligor) will be ordered to pay. The hearing officer will also determine who will be ordered to provide health insurance coverage for the children (one party, both parties, or neither party). Once the administrative child support order is issued, either party has the right to file an objection to the administrative order in court.

What are child support guidelines?

  • In order to establish consistency in child support orders, the federal government requires states to use a child support guideline to calculate the support obligations of the parents. Ohio uses the Income Shares Model, which is a formula based on the premise that the child should be entitled to the same standard of living that the child would have enjoyed had the parents remained together. You can review Ohio’s child support calculator at;
  • Ohio’s guideline uses gross income figures from both parents, and calculates the amount of support that would be necessary based upon the parents’ combined income. The combined support amount is then allocated between the parents based upon their relative contributions to the income. For example, if one parent contributes 60% of the income and the other parent contributes 40% of the income, then the parent who contributes 60% of the income will also be responsible for providing 60% of the combined support amount for the child;
  • After adjustments are made for other expenses (day care, private health insurance costs, other children in the home, etc.), the parent designated as the non-residential parent will be responsible for paying his/her guideline support amount to the residential parent or caretaker.

If I’m married, do I have to get a Divorce or Dissolution before I can apply for child support services?

No, if either of the parents are no longer residing in the home, you may apply for child support services.

How long does it take the CSEA to process a court order once it is received from the court?

Typically, the CSEA is able to record the order within 2 business days after the order is received from the court.

Am I able to appear for my hearing by telephone?

You may request to appear for your hearing by telephone. You must contact the CSEA and request a telephonic hearing. You must also provide the CSEA with the telephone number where you can be reached at the time scheduled for the hearing to begin. If you are appearing via telephone, you must submit all documentation for the hearing prior to the hearing date.

Are child support recipients required to show how child support money is used?

While the financial responsibility of both parties is included in the guidelines calculation, child support recipients are not required to file financial reports or receipts to document the use of child support.

Who can apply for child support services?

Anyone who has legal custody of a child that resides in Medina County can apply for services. An unmarried mother who gives birth has legal custody of her child born in Ohio.  If the father or third party (guardian, family member, etc.) has a court order granting him/her legal custody of the child, he/she can apply for child support services.

When can support be established?

Child support agencies can establish a support order for parents/legal guardians once paternity has been determined and the child remains under the age of 18 or has not emancipated.

Can I establish a child support order if the other parent lives outside of Ohio?

Yes, we can help you establish a child support order even if a parent does not live in Ohio.

Can a child support order still be issued when the non-custodial parent is in jail or prison?

Yes, a child support order can be issued if the non-custodial parent is incarcerated.

Can the child support enforcement agency (CSEA) help me establish a spousal support order?

No, state law does not authorize the CSEA to establish a spousal support order. A private attorney would be a recommendation because only the court may issue a spousal support order. However, the CSEA may be responsible for enforcing spousal support orders when they are included in child support orders or when the court orders spousal support only cases paid through the CSEA. 

Should I bring my child(ren) to the administrative support hearing?

No, we actually request that you don’t bring any children to the child support hearing.

Can I bring my significant other to the administrative support hearing?

No, only the parties to the case and their respective counsel will be allowed in the hearing room.

Will the issues of visitation or custody be discussed at the administrative support hearing?

No, please remember, the CSEA Hearing Officer will not assist you on issues concerning companionship or living arrangements of a child. Visitation and custody are handled through court orders only.

Do I need an attorney for the administrative support hearing?

An Attorney is not required, however you may bring one if you wish.

I don’t agree with what’s in my Divorce/Dissolution Order

Any divorce actions, including but not limited to child support, medical support, custody, visitation, property settlements, must be handled/filed in court.

Can a caretaker receive child support for a child they have Power of Attorney for?

No. Agency policy does not allow us to establish support without legal custody.

Can a caretaker receive support for a child they have legal guardianship for?

Yes, you may apply for support.  The agency will have to review your guardianship paperwork to determine if a child support can be established.

What happens if my child is removed from my home or placed in Foster Care?

The agency is required to establish a case against both parents payable to Jobs and Family Services or the current custodian.  The agency will have to review the custody order issued by the court to determine who the proper payee will be.

PAYMENTS (Making and Receiving)

What’s the quickest way to get a payment to the payee?

A payment made in cash and at the CSEA will allocate to the case and be disbursed quicker than any other method of payment.  If the cash payment is made by 1:59 pm, the payment will show on SETS the following day and disburse to the case the next day.

Why is my payment late?

A payment is not considered “late” until it is two (2) weeks past the date it should have been received. Companies process payroll weekly, bi-weekly, bi-monthly or monthly. When payments are coming from an employer, the case should receive payments at the same rate as the payor/employee is paid. Sometimes there is a disruption in payments and we either don’t receive one or it’s late.  There are several reasons for late payments:

  • The employer paid the child support obligation late (changing payroll systems, change in personnel, etc.);
  • There was a holiday and payment processing is off by one or two days;
  • The payment was delayed by the post office;
  • The payor did not work during the time frame (sick, vacation, not enough hours, etc);
  • Payments are garnished from a bank account and the bank account has insufficient funds;
  • If the payor makes the payment on their own, they have the entire calendar month to make the payment. For example, a payment can be made 5/1/16 and the next one made 6/30/16. As long as the payment is made during the month, it is not considered a “late” payment.

What if I give the payee child support directly (not through CSEA)?

Any payment NOT paid through the CSEA is considered a gift.  You are court or administratively ordered to pay through the CSEA (check your child support order).  The CSEA cannot credit your case with a payment that is not made through payment central.  The only way the CSEA can give credit for any payment NOT made through payment central is by a court order.  The parties to the case would need to file a motion in court addressing the payment and instructing the CSEA to give credit for this payment. No exceptions!

What are administrative fees?

Ohio charges a two percent (2%) administrative processing fee on all cases.  This fee is mentioned in all child support orders.  The fee is not assessed to the payee, we are not “taking money from the child”. The fee is assessed to the payor on a case and is often the last arrears balance paid.

Why is my payment short?

Ohio charges a 2% administrative processing fee on all child support cases.  After the child and medical support (if applicable) obligation is paid in full in a calendar month, the CSEA may collect the administrative processing fee charged on the case.  This payment is NOT assessed to the payee but rather to the payor on the case.  We are not taking child support or “taking money from the child” as the fees are paid after current support is paid for the month.

What are my options in receiving child support payments?

There are several ways in which a client on a case can receive child support payments:

  • Via Check if we do not have any other payment method on the case (not preferred);
  • The Ohio e-QuickPay Debit MasterCard card IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE but if you are a current cardholder, you will still be able to use any balance of funds on the card until balance is reduced to zero.  PLEASE BE AWARE THAT NEW DEBIT CARDS WILL BE ISSUED TO E-QUICKPAY CARD HOLDERS IN JUNE 2019 SO IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT THE CSEA HAS THE CORRECT ADDRESS FOR THE NEW CARD TO BE MAILED (payments would start applying to the new card effective July 1, 2019).  If  your e-QuickPay card is stolen or lost, you must call 800-503-1283;
  • Via Direct Deposit to a checking or savings account. For this type of payment you will need to complete an enrollment/ authorization form which you can access here When selected, this choice overrides paper check.  If you change accounts or banks, you must notify the CSEA immediately to avoid payments disbursing to a closed account. You will also need to complete another enrollment/authorization form for the new account.

Why didn’t I get any money if a payment has posted?

There could be several reasons for this that a payment has been received and the payee has not received it:

  • If you are receiving cash assistance through the state of Ohio, your child support payment will be disbursed to the state of Ohio. You cannot receive both child support and cash benefits through the state of Ohio. Receiving both at the same time is considered welfare fraud. If you are receiving cash benefits through the state and you want to receive child support instead, contact your Jobs and Family Services (JFS) worker. Once your cash benefits are terminated with JFS, our system will be notified and child support payments will disburse to you via the type of payment option on file (Check, e-QuickPay card, or Direct Deposit account);
  • If you are receiving Medicaid and your case has a cash medical support obligation, the amount specified for cash medical support may be disbursing to the state of Ohio;
  • Have you received an order from court which states support is to be escrowed until further notice? Generally when a case is being referred for termination of support (due to emancipation of a child, adoption of a child, death of a child, etc.) the court will also file an Escrow Order. If the court has issued an Escrow Order, only the court can release it;
  • We may have received notice from the post office that you are no longer at the residence we have on file. If we cannot locate an address for you, your payments may go on hold. The CSEA requires change of address in writing.  Please mail, fax or send a message through the portal at advising of your address change and payment on hold;
  • The payment may be a joint federal tax refund. These payments are held for six (6) months to give the payor’s spouse time to claim his/her portion of the refund;
  • If none of these apply to your case, you may want to check the web portal at or contact the CSEA directly for further review.

I am the payor and received a payment from the CSEA

There are several reasons why the payor may be refunded a child support payment from the CSEA:

  • If you are receiving Ohio Bureau of Employment Services (OBES) benefits and we are receiving child support payments from these benefits there’s a good chance the support arrears on your case are paid in full. Our system will not allow an overpayment of support when the payments are being received from OBES;
  • Is or was your case going through a termination of child support? If so, when the court ordered Escrow is released, if you are paid in full the CSEA will refund money to you to avoid an overpayment;
  • We received a tax offset payment that was higher than the arrears owed on the case. The arrears owed were paid off and the remainder of the payment is being refunded to you;
  • Your arrears are paid in full and money is being refunded to you. It’s possible your employer did not receive the termination of withholding notice. You may want to contact your payroll to see if they have received anything from the CSEA. If not, contact the CSEA and let us know that you are being refunded payments.

Requesting a record of payments

You can access a payment record via the web portal at or you can request a payment record via telephone, fax or email. If we have your email address we can email it to you. We can also mail it to you or you can come pick it up at the agency. We do not, however, fax payment records.

I don’t agree with what’s in my Divorce/Dissolution Order

Any divorce actions, including but not limited to child support, medical support, custody, visitation, property settlements, must be handled/filed in court.

EMPLOYER INFORMATION (Garnishments and Medical Coverage)

How do I, the employer, know if coverage is affordable?

Add the child support obligation plus the monthly insurance premium paid by the employee. If the total is higher than the percentage they are allowed to withhold under the Consumer Credit Protection Act then it’s not affordable and you are not to enroll the child(ren) in medical coverage.

Are you asking for the employer’s monthly cost for coverage or the employee’s?

Anytime the CSEA requests the cost for coverage regarding medical insurance, we are always asking for the employee’s out of pocket cost.  It is not necessary for you to provide your cost for coverage as you, the employer, are not medical insurance obligor.

Why do I get a termination of NMSN and then a day later receive a NMSN for the same parties?

This usually happens when a new case number has been assigned to the case.  Everything else will be the same except for the case number and the order number.  When we are closing one case the NMSN termination notice needs to go out for that case/order number.  We will then issue a NMSN under the new case/order number.

MEDICAL COVERAGE (National Medical Support Notice – NMSN)

I already have coverage through Medicaid, I don’t want this coverage

  • If the other party is ordered to provide private medical coverage for your child(ren), the private coverage will be maintained. You can still keep your Medicaid benefits through the state. The private coverage is to be used as the main insurance provider and Medicaid as secondary coverage.
  • If the custodial parent is ordered to provide private medical coverage and you have Medicaid through the state, we can determine if the private coverage is affordable. We will need cost information from your employer showing the cost for individual insurance coverage, individual plus one (+1) coverage, and family coverage. If the coverage is deemed unaffordable we will issue a termination of NMSN to your employer.

I have provided third party coverage information, why do you keep sending NMSNs to my new employers?

If you are ordered to provide private medical coverage for your child(ren), when our system updates with a new employer for you, a wage garnishment and a NMSN notice will be sent to your employer.  We see this often with people who are employed by a union (painters, engineering, etc.) where medical coverage doesn’t change but employers do. If third party coverage is already provided (through a spouse or another insurance company), please contact the CSEA when you acquire new employment not only to keep us advised of your employment status but also to avoid a NMSN going out to your new employer.

No parties are ordered to provide medical but I have coverage and want credit for it

You can request an adjustment review (modification) of your child support at any time for this reason through the CSEA.  The CSEA will review the entire order, child and medical support.  You can also file a motion to modify the carrier of medical coverage in court if you don’t want to go through the CSEA.

I’m providing coverage even though I’m not ordered to, the other party is

You can request an adjustment review (modification) of your child support at any time for this reason through the CSEA.  The CSEA will review the entire order, however, child and medical support.  You can also file a motion to modify the carrier of medical coverage in court if you don’t want to go through the CSEA.  The court can just modify the medical insurance carrier without reviewing the entire order.

Why am I being charged cash medical if I’m providing coverage?

The CSEA is not always aware of employment/medical coverage changes.  That’s why your order states you are to notify the CSEA of any changes in employment and/or medical coverage.  Often times employers do not respond to NMSNs and we don’t know if coverage is being provided. You can call, fax, mail, email or send a message through the web portal at advising of changes in medical coverage and employment.

My medical card only has my name on it, is that ok?

Yes, that’s ok.  Most insurance cards only have the name of the policy holder on them.


What is an Income Withholding Order/Wage Garnishment?

A majority of support collected is collected through income withholding orders. The CSEA may send an income withholding order to an employer as well as other sources of income. These other sources of income include but aren’t limited to bank funds, unemployment compensation, workers’ compensation and some social security benefits, pensions and lottery winnings.

What is a Default?

When an obligor is behind by his or her support obligation by one month, the case is then in default.  When a case is in default, the Notice to Obligor of Default and Potential Action is mailed to the obligor advising the CSEA is required to issue a garnishment that includes a payment on arrears that equals 20% of the current support obligation.  The notice also provides additional enforcement actions that can be taken to collect the arrearage owed.  These actions include but are not limited to: reporting the arrearage amount to a credit reporting agency, imposing a lien on real and personal property, referring cases to a collection agency, restricting and withdrawing money from any account held at any financial institution, proposing suspension of a driver, recreational or professional license, etc.

Is My Case Going to get a Tax Refund?

  • Federal law 98-369, and ORC sections 3123.81 and 3123.822 authorize the CSEA to seize tax refund offsets.
  • The IRS and the CSEA will send the obligor a notice that any tax refunds will be intercepted to pay down the arrears. The obligor may request a hearing with the CSEA to dispute the offset being intercepted.
  • Spouses of obligors who owe child support are able to file an injured spouse claim to have his/her portion of the refund released.
  • IRS Offset: This offset is mandatory, and must be used if a case meets the criteria. To be eligible for the IRS offset, the obligor must owe $500 for unassigned arrears and/or $150 for assigned arrears. Arrears are totaled across all eligible cases.
  • Ohio Offset: To be eligible for the Ohio offset, the obligor must owe $150 across all eligible cases. Weekly updates are generated to the state to advise of deletions and decreasing arrears amounts.

Why is the Tax Offset on Hold?

If a refund is filed jointly, the CSEA will hold the refund for six (6) months which gives the spouse of the obligor ample time to file an injured spouse claim to have his or her portion of the refund released. If, however, a joint refund is received and the obligor and his or her spouse would like the entire payment disbursed to the case to pay towards the arrears, our payment department will happily help with that.

You intercepted my Joint Income Tax Refund, Now What?

If your spouse wants to claim his/her portion of the refund, he/she could file an Injured Spouse Form.  If, however, a joint refund is received and you and your spouse would like the entire payment disbursed to the case to pay towards the arrears before the six month time period, our payment department will happily help with that. Weekly updates are generated to the Internal Revenue Service to advise of deletions.

What about Medical Coverage/National Medical Support Notice?

When a party to the case is ordered to provide medical coverage for the child(ren), a National Medical Support Notice (NMSN) is sent to the obligor’s employer.  Either party, neither party, or both parties to the case can be responsible for medical coverage at any given time of the order’s life.  Every order has the specific wording it in which states who is ordered to provide medical coverage. A Notice of Medical Support Enforcement Activity (NMSEA) is sent with every NMSN which allows the Medical Coverage obligor to request a hearing or provide proof of Alternate Insurance (e.g., through a spouse or union or independent coverage not through the employer).

What is this Cash Medical/Medical Support Payment?

Ohio requires all child support orders to order the payor and/or the payee to obtain and/or maintain available private health insurance coverage that is at a reasonable cost. It also adds the requirement that if there comes a time during that order when private insurance coverage can’t be maintained at an affordable cost, the obligor must pay cash medical support.  The order will contain two child support obligation amounts, an amount when medical coverage is being provided and an amount when medical coverage is not being provided, and a cash medical amount. The cash medical amount will be paid to whomever is carrying the medical coverage, whether that’s another parent, a person with whom the child resides, or a public entity (Medicaid through the state of Ohio).  It is to be noted that if the payor’s annual gross income is below 150% of the federal poverty level for an individual at the time that the child support order is issued or modified, cash medical support will be set at $0.00.

What about my Credit Report?

  • Federal law 104-193 and ORC section 3123.932 authorizes the CSEA to report arrears to the credit bureaus. Obligors who remain on the default list for two months in a row are reported to the credit bureaus.
  • Obligors must dispute any errors through the reporting bureau. The bureau submits an electronic report to the CSEA and the CSEA will manually review the case to determine what the bureau should be reporting.


We are just as excited, trust me!  ORC sections 3121.12, 3123.90, 3770.071, & 3770.073 authorizes the CSEA to seize jackpot winnings on obligors who are in default.  The obligor must be in default to have jackpot winning seized. This process is automated at the state level and matches are done in real time.

What about Social Security Benefits?

We can garnish child support from Social Security Disability and Social Security Retirement.  We cannot garnish from Social Security Income.  We have always suggested and will keep suggesting that if you ever learn that the father/mother of your child is receiving any type of social security benefit, apply for child benefits at your local social security office.

What about Benefits through the VA?

VA Benefits cannot be garnished.  There may be a process in which the custodial parent can apply for child support through the Veteran Affairs but the client would have to proceed with that action on his or her own.

I need my Passport!

  • Federal law 104-193 authorizes the CSEA to block passports on obligors who owe past due child support.
  • The obligor must be in arrears of at least $2500. Arrears are totaled across all eligible cases. The State Department will place a block on the obligor’s passport. There are ways for the obligor to have the passport blocked released.
  • For leisure travel, the obligor is required to pay the arrears in full.
  • For employment or business travel, the obligor is required to provide documentation on company letterhead and current or prospective employment information or information about funds on deposit in a financial institution for withholding purposes and either pay off all the arrears or pay the arrears so that the balance across all cases falls below $2500 and the lump sum payment must be equal to at least one month’s obligation.
  • If the obligor is a member of the military whose passport is being issued by a special issuance agency of DOS, the military member or the authorized representative must provide military travel papers or military orders.

License Suspensions

The CSEA can suspend your driver, recreational and professional license if you are in default on your child support order.  All obligors are notified through the default process that their license can be suspended if their case is in default. While the suspension of a motor vehicle operator’s license is the most widely used of the three, recreational (e.g., hunting, fishing and watercraft) licenses and professional (e.g., cosmetology, sanitation, etc.) licenses can be suspended as well.  The suspension and reinstatement process for each of these are taken on a case by case basis.

Bank Account Freeze and Seize

  • Federal laws 104-93 and 105-200 and ORC sections 3121.74 – 3121.78, section 3121.99, and sections 3123.24 – 3123.38 authorize the reporting and seizing of financial accounts.
  • Each quarter, financial institutions are required to report financial assets of obligors who owe past due child support. Any type of financial asset such as checking and savings accounts, IRAs, mutual funds, and stocks can be seized to pay delinquent child support. Joint accounts are also eligible for seizure.
  • Each week, the CSEA reviews a report of all reported financial assets of obligors who are eligible. As long as the obligor is in default, the CSEA is legally allowed to seize the account. This action may be done regardless of whether or not the obligor is currently paying.
  • A directive is sent to the institution to seize the account and forward the funds to the obligor’s child support case. A copy of the directive is sent to the obligor. The funds received from the financial asset are applied to the obligor’s arrearage.

I don’t agree with what’s in my Divorce/Dissolution Order

Any divorce actions, including but not limited to child support, medical support, custody, visitation, property settlements, must be handled/filed in court.

ADJUSTMENT REVIEW (Modification of Support Order)

Is there a way to find out if support will increase or decrease before I request the review?

You can access Ohio’s Child Support Calculator at

While it is difficult to know how the support will change without knowing the other party’s financial information, this site can be useful.

Does the CSEA automatically review my support order?

The CSEA does not automatically review a child support order, a party to the case would need to request a review to have one done. The CSEA MAY schedule a review if the obligee is receiving public assistance and it has been 36 months since the last review.

Do you modify arrears only orders?

The agency cannot review arrears only orders.  If you feel that you cannot afford the payment on arrears, you would need to file a motion in court to amend the arrears payment.

Do you modify spousal support orders?

NO–The CSEA does not review spousal support orders.  If you feel you cannot afford the payment on your spousal support order, you would need to file a motion in court to amend the spousal support obligation amount.

Do you count my spouse’s or the other parent’s spouse’s income?

NO–The only income used to determine a child support obligation is the parents of the child(ren) on the order.  We do not include the spouse(s) income in the Guideline calculation.

Why do I have to provide proof of my situation when requesting a modification prior to 3 years?

Because we need proof of a 30% increase or decrease in income to review the order earlier than three years. This is for either party.  The agency will deny your request of an early review without documentation. If it has been less than 3 years the documentation of the qualifying change is REQUIRED and must be attached to the Request for an Administrative Review of the Support Order (JFS 01849).

How long does it take to know if the Modification is granted or denied?

Within 15 days.

Do I have to appear at the Administrative Review?

No. The initial review date is done in the agency without either party present. Both parties will receive the recommendation for the revised child support/cash medical support/health insurance coverage in the mail.

Is my employer notified right away to amend my wage withholding?

No.  Nothing is changed in the system until the amended child support order is signed by the hearing officer or by the judge and filed.  When you receive the “Findings and Recommendations” in the mail, they are just that.  They are not the final order.  Both parties have time to object to the Findings and Recommendations.  You should not bring these to your employer and tell them to change your wage withholding.  We will send your employer an amended wage withholding when the order is finalized.

I have a new Divorce/Dissolution order and I don’t agree with it, can you help?

Any divorce actions, including but not limited to child support, medical support, custody, visitation, property settlements, must be handled/filed in court.

We Agreed Child Support would be $0.00 in a court order. I now want Support, can you help me?

If you agreed in a court order that child support would be set at $0.00 (for any reason) and you now want support, we cannot assist you with modifying your child support order.  You must file a motion to modify in court if you want child support modified.


Why is money still being garnished from my paycheck?

Ohio does not administratively terminate child support orders.  You may have provided us with verification that a child has emancipated, a custody change order, a death certificate, etc. but we cannot terminate an income withholding order (wage garnishment) until an order states we can. Often times payments are escrowed (held) and not disbursed to the case while a termination of support is pending.  You don’t want to overpay and we don’t want you to overpay.

What if my child is no longer in the home?

Regardless of the age of the child in question, we cannot terminate a child support order without a court order.  If the child is five (5) months old or seventeen (17) years old and resides with a grandparent (friend, aunt, uncle, etc.) instead of the mother, we can’t terminate support unless there is an order granting custody to third party.  This also applies to Temporary Custody Orders.  The custody order must be finalized for us to proceed with termination or redirection of support. If a change of custody order is not filed the support will keep going to the custodial parent. No exceptions.

There’s a custody change order, why isn’t my support terminated (Redirection of Support)?

Often times when there is a custody change order to a third party (anyone other than the parents) and there is a support order already in place, a redirect of support is often stated in the order. A redirection of support will simply add the third party to the case and the current obligations will then be redirected to them.  Current obligations (child support, medical support, and medical coverage) will terminate to the former custodial parent and be redirected to the new third party.  The arrears to the former custodial parent will remain owed to the custodial parent.

The child has moved in with the other parent who’s ordered to pay support, now what?

As previously stated, Ohio cannot terminate support without an order. If your child now resides with you and no longer with the custodial parent, you need to file a motion to modify custody.  We cannot send a termination of income withholding to your employer. Support will keep coming in and disbursing to the custodial parent unless and until we receive an order stating otherwise.

What if the parties of the case get married to each other or remarry each other?

Please provide our agency with a copy of the marriage certificate.  We can terminate support based on the parties marriage, however, unless specified in the order, the arrears owed will remain on our system for collection.

  • If the order is an administrative order and has never been to court, the arrears due the client can be removed. However, any arrears owed to the state of Ohio will remain and the CSEA will collect until paid in full.
  • If the order is a court order and needs to be referred for termination, a hearing date will be scheduled. If the client wants to waive the arrears owed to them, it is imperative that they attend the hearing. If the client does not appear and waive the arrears due, the arrears will remain on our system for collection. Arrears owed to the state of Ohio cannot be waived and will remain on our system for collection until they are paid in full.

What happens if the child support payor dies?

If the person obligated to pay child support passes away, the CSEA will obtain a copy of the death certificate and refer the case for termination of support. Because no one but the payor is responsible for the child support arrears, the CSEA may close the case based on the death of the payor. The payee may contact an attorney regarding the payor’s estate and possible collection of arrears that way.

What happens if the child support payee dies?

If the payee or person who receives child support passes away and there are minor children on the case, the CSEA will obtain a copy of the death certificate.  We will also try to find out who has been awarded custody of the minor child(ren).  If the surviving mother/father of the child has custody, we will refer the case for termination of support.  The arrears due the state of Ohio, if any, will remain for collection until the case is paid in full. If a third party has been awarded custody of the minor child(ren), the court will determine the next action to be taken (redirect of support, termination of support, etc.).

What happens if a child on the case dies?

If a child on a case passes away, a death certificate will be obtained and the case will be forwarded to court for termination of support for this child.  The arrears owed to the client/state of Ohio will remain for collection until they are paid in full.

The child on my case is 30 years old, why do I still owe?

There is no statute of limitations in Ohio in regards to arrears owed for child support.  You are responsible for the child support that should have been paid when the “child” was a minor. The CSEA will keep the case open for collection regardless of how old the “child” on the order is or how old the case is.