FAQs About Our Services

When it comes to accessing social services and public assistance, you probably have a lot of questions. The questions and answers provided below will help you become familiar with much of the information you need.

Medina County JFS Career Opportunities

Make a difference in the community by helping families build lives of security and independence. Check out the job openings and/or Requests for Proposals below; contact (330) 722-9300 or Toll free: 1 (800) 783-5070 for any questions. 

Clerical Specialist

Protective Services Worker 2

Child Care


Health & Pregnancy

Medicaid Assistance

  • How do I become a paid Medicaid in-home care provider?

    Go to ​

    • Click on the Providers Tab at the top.
    • Go to Enrollment and Support.
    • Go to Provider Enrollment.
    • The 5th bullet point down states “Enroll as a New Provider.”
    • Follow the instructions to fill out the enrollment forms.


  • Are there transportation services I can qualify for?

    Transportation can be provided to/from medical appointments for individuals receiving a full-category of Medicaid. MPAP, which is QMB, SLMB, and QI-1 are not full Medicaid categories, so would not qualify for transportation assistance. If you have a managed care provider through Medicaid, you would need to contact your managed care provider first for transportation assistance prior to utilizing the transportation program at JFS.  Also, those who are required to participate in the Work Requirement Program for SNAP and/or TANF may be eligible to receive transportation assistance.  All transportation services are provided via Medina County Transit. Please call 330-661-0835 with any questions or to see if you would qualify. 

Financial Assistance

Emergency Assistance (PRC)

Foster Care

  • What is the need?

    Our agency needs foster families who are willing to take all ages of children. Our greatest need is for families who are willing to take school aged children, teens, and sibling groups.

  • How do I become a foster parent?
    • Fill out an application
    • Attend training sessions (36 total hours, divided into 12 sessions)
    • Complete a background check
    • Pass a fire inspection and safety audit
    • Complete a home study and autobiography
  • What is the home study like?
    The home study is a series of home visits with a foster care coordinator/assessor to share and gather information and determine your suitability to become a licensed foster parent. The assessor will work with you to complete all the necessary paperwork and safety inspections required to become licensed. The home study process can take three to six months.
  • How do I become licensed?
    An application packet will be mailed to you for completion along with a home study checklist of required documents. You will turn in the application to the agency and then begin working on the other items. It is important to turn in the application prior to working on any items on the checklist.
  • Who will help me become licensed?

    You will be assigned a foster care coordinator/assessor who will complete your home study with you. If you have met the requirements you will become licensed to foster and will be approved for adoption. 

  • What is my role as a foster parent?

    Your role is to:

    • Provide for children’s basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter
    • Create a safe place for children to learn and grow and cope with complex feelings
    • Ensure that children feel equal and included in all family activities
    • Support children’s identity and traditions
    • Provide transportation for children to appointments, activities, visits, and events
    • Monitor and strengthen children’s academic progress
    • Provide consistent, realistic guidance and discipline
    • Work with the professionals and biological families to promote effective reunification
  • What kind of assistance will I receive as a foster parent?

    Assistance will include:

    • Medical Coverage: Foster children receive coverage through Medicaid offering full coverage for all medical needs including routine healthcare, prescriptions, and counseling.
    • Financial Support: Licensed families are paid a stipend to help meet daily living needs of the children placed in their home.
    • Ongoing Training: Families are provided continued training on topics offering knowledge and guidance on the children placed in your home.
    • Foster Care Events: Annual events for families and children such as summer picnics, fall hayrides, breakfast with Santa, etc.
    • Personal Support: Families are assigned a foster care coordinator who will advocate on behalf of your family when placement decisions are being made (will take your family into consideration when placement decisions are being made) and who will be available to your family as a support throughout the duration of placements.
  • How old do I need to be to provide foster care?
    You need to be at least 18 years of age to become a foster parent.
  • Is there a minimum household income requirement?
    No, you simply must be able to meet basic household needs.
  • Do I have to be married to be a foster parent?
    No. You can be married, single, divorced, widowed.
  • Do I have to own my home?

    No. You can own or rent and can live in a house, apartment, or mobile home. You must have sufficient space for children and their belongings.

  • Do I need to be a stay-at-home parent to foster?
    No. You can be employed or stay-at-home. Assistance may be available for the cost of childcare.
  • Does my spouse/partner have to take the training also?
    Yes. All spouses and live-in partners must attend the pre-service training. You do not have to attend the same training series if there is a scheduling conflict. You may take the training at another county or take the next training series.
  • Can I take the training in another county and still be licensed by MCJFS?
    Yes. You will need to contact us for a training schedule and to make arrangements with another county.
  • Once I have started the training classes, is there a time limit to complete the process?
    The training classes are good for 18 months. However, you must be licensed in that 18-month time period. A home study can take up to 6 months. This means you should plan to turn in all your paperwork and be assigned for home study within 12 months in order to avoid having to retake the pre-service classes.
  • How long is my foster home license good for?

    A foster home license is good for 2 years.

  • Do I have to take more training once I get my license?
    You are required to complete a certain number of hours of continuing training for each 2-year licensing period. These classes are offered free to you on a variety of topics.
  • Can I be a foster parent with MCJFS if I don’t live in Medina County?
    Yes. We will make a case-by-case determination based on your location.
  • Can my own children and foster children share a bedroom?

    Yes. Each child must have a bed of their own. A foster child cannot share a bedroom with a child of the opposite sex, except when all children in the bedroom are under the age of five.

  • Will children placed in my home have visitation with their birth family?
    Yes. Birth families are entitled to visitation with their children by state law. The child’s case worker will arrange visitation, and visits take place at the Children’s Advocacy Center of Medina or another agreed upon location.
  • Can I take foster children on vacation with me?
    Yes, you are typically permitted to take children in your care on vacation with you if you provide the child’s case worker sufficient notice along with an address and phone number where you will be.
  • What will it cost me to become a foster parent?
    There is no cost to becoming a foster parent.


Kinship Care

Child Support - General

  • What do I need when registering for the Mobile App or Web Portal for the first time?

    You need your Ohio driver's license, State ID, or BMV issued key number. If you don't have an Ohio driver's license, use your case number, SSN, and either the last 4 digits of the account your child support is deposited to (obligee) or your Web ID (obligor), which can be provided by the child support office if you don't know it. You need to provide your SSN, DOB, and email address (if you don't have one, there is a link to crate an email account). You need to establish a User ID and Password (must be at least 8 characters and include 1 upper case, 1 lower case, 1 number, and 1 special character). Lastly, you need to provide your 10-digit child support case number.

    For customers who have established a User ID and Password through the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS) online Cash, Food, or Medical Benefits Portal, please use the same User ID and Password for the Child Support Customer Service Portal.

  • How do I apply for child support?

    Click here to download the application.

  • How do I set up direct deposit?

    Click here to download the Ohio Child Support Program E-Disbursement Enrollment form.

  • How do I request an administrative review of my child support order?

    Click here to download the request form.

  • How do I request a mediation?

    Mediation requests are handled through Medina County Domestic Relations Court. Click here to view the rules and forms.

Child Support - Paternity

Child Support - Support Order

  • How do child support orders get established?
    A child support order can be established administratively, or through the CSEA. Unless there is a divorce or dissolution filed in court, most orders start out administratively through two ways: a client completes an Application for Services OR a client is receiving a type of public assistance that requires compliance with the CSEA. Receipt of an Ohio Works First (OWF) cash grant and in some instances receipt of state and medical benefits requires that the parent cooperate with the CSEA in establishment of paternity and support orders. Administrative orders do not contain custody or visitation wording. Custody and visitation issues must be handled through the court.

    A child support order can also be established through the court. Divorces and Dissolutions that involve children have support established through the court. Instead of applying for services through the CSEA, parties who are not married can file for a child support order through the court directly and avoid going through the CSEA for establishment. Any Divorce or Dissolution action, including but not limited to child support, medical support, custody, visitation, and property settlements, must be handled/filed in court.
  • What do I need to do to get a child support order established?
    Contact your local CSEA and request an Application for Services. You can also print out, complete and mail the application to your local office at Once the application is returned to the Agency, a review will be completed within ten (10) days to determine if a case will be opened. You will be notified by mail if the application has been accepted or denied.
  • What happens at an administrative support establishment hearing?
    The hearing officer listens to testimony and collects documentation for the support calculation to determine the amount of child support and cash medical support that the non-residential parent (obligor) will be ordered to pay. The hearing officer will also determine who will be ordered to provide health insurance coverage for the child(ren) (one party, both parties, or neither party). Once the administrative child support order is issued, both parties have fourteen (14) days to file an objection and stay with the court. After these fourteen (14) days have passed, the order will be loaded onto SETS and a wage garnishment will go out to the employer. If an objection is filed, the order will be loaded onto the system. If a stay is ordered by the court, the order will not be loaded until the court issues an order stating the order is to be loaded.
  • What are child support guidelines?

    In order to establish consistency in child support orders, the federal government requires states to use a child support guideline to calculate the support obligations of the parents. Ohio uses the Income Shares Model, which is a formula based on the premise that the child should be entitled to the same standard of living that the child would have enjoyed had the parents remained together. You can review Ohio’s child support calculator at

    Ohio’s guideline uses gross income figures from both parents, and calculates the amount of support that would be necessary based upon the parents’ combined income. The combined support amount is then allocated between the parents based upon their relative contributions to the income. For example, if one parent contributes 60% of the income and the other parent contributes 40% of the income, then the parent who contributes 60% of the income will also be responsible for providing 60% of the combined support amount for the child.

    After adjustments are made for other expenses (day care costs, private health insurance costs, other minor children, etc.), the parent designated as the non-residential parent will be responsible for paying his/her guideline support amount to the residential parent or caretaker.


  • With regard to child support, how is the health insurance carrier picked?

    After all of the documentation has been gathered, the hearing officer will determine which party is to carry private health insurance; one parent, both parents, or neither parent. In accordance with division (B) of section 3119.30 of the Ohio Revised Code, the obligee is presumed to be the appropriate parent to provide health insurance coverage for the child(ren) subject to the child support order, unless rebutted. For more information regarding this, please see Ohio Administrative Code 5101:12-47-02(A-D).

  • If I’m married, do I have to get a Divorce or Dissolution before I can apply for child support services?

    No, if either of the parents are no longer residing in the home, you may apply for child support services.

  • Am I able to appear for my administrative support establishment hearing by telephone?

    You may request to appear for your hearing by telephone. You must contact the CSEA and request a telephonic hearing. You must also provide the CSEA with the telephone number where you can be reached at the time scheduled for the hearing to begin. If you are appearing via telephone, you must submit all documentation for the hearing prior to the hearing date.

  • How long does it take the CSEA to process a child support court order once it is received from the court?
    Typically, the CSEA is able to load the order within 2 business days after the order is received from the court.
  • Are child support recipients required to show how child support money is used?
    While the financial responsibility of both parties is included in the guidelines calculation, child support recipients are not required to file financial reports or receipts to document the use of child support.
  • Who can apply to obtain a child support order?

    Anyone who has legal custody of a child that resides in Medina County can apply. An unmarried mother who gives birth has legal custody of her child born in Ohio.  If the father or third party (guardian, family member, foster care, agency, etc.) has a court order granting him/her legal custody of a child, he/she can complete a IV-D application.

  • When can child support be established?

    Child support agencies can establish a support order for parents/legal guardians once paternity has been determined and the child remains under the age of 18 or has not emancipated.

  • Can I establish a child support order if the other parent lives outside of Ohio?

    Yes, we can help you establish a child support order even if a parent does not reside in Ohio.

  • Can a child support order still be issued when the non-custodial parent is in jail or prison?
    Yes, a child support order can be issued if the non-custodial parent is incarcerated.
  • Can the child support enforcement agency (CSEA) help me establish a spousal support order?
    No, state law does not authorize the CSEA to establish a spousal support order. You will need a private attorney because only the court may issue a spousal support order. However, the CSEA may be responsible for enforcing spousal support orders, when they are included in child support orders and when they are spousal support-only orders.
  • Should I bring my child(ren) to my support hearing?

    No, we actually request that you don’t bring any children to the child support hearing.

  • For my child support hearing, can I bring my significant other with me?

    No, only the parties to the case and their respective counsel will be allowed in the hearing room.

  • Will the issues of visitation or custody be discussed at the administrative hearing?
    No, please remember, the CSEA Hearing Officer will not assist you on issues concerning companionship or living arrangements of a child. Visitation and custody are handled through court orders only.
  • Do I need an attorney for the Administrative Hearing?

    An attorney is not required, however you may bring one if you wish.

  • I don’t agree with what’s in my Divorce/Dissolution Order.

    Any Divorce or Dissolution action, including but not limited to child support, medical support, custody, visitation, property settlements, must be handled/filed in court.

  • Can a caretaker receive child support for a child they have Power of Attorney for?

    No. Agency policy does not allow us to establish support without legal custody.

  • Can a caretaker receive support for a child they have legal guardianship for?
    Yes, they may apply for support. The agency will need to review your guardianship paperwork to determine if a child support can be established.
  • What happens with child support if my child is removed from my home or placed in foster care?

    The agency is required to establish a case against both parents payable to Jobs and Family Services or the current custodian. The agency will need to review the custody order issued by the court to determine who the proper payee will be.

Medina County
Job and Family Services
232 Northland Drive
Medina, OH 44256
Office: (330) 722-9300
Toll Free: (800) 783-5070 
Fax: (330) 722-3383

Phone: (330) 722-9398
Toll-Free: (800) 706-2732
Fax: (330) 722-9238
Copyright © 2021 Medina County Job and Family Services. All rights reserved.